Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Certified



For two nights, from 6 to 9:30 I attended my CPR and first aid classes. It was on the llth and 12th in the bus garage down on Randolph near West Seventh. Boring, boring, and long. We read the book, watch film clips, practice the skills on manniquins...both adult and infant. For someone my age, with all my aches and pains, it isn't easy bending down there on the floor on a mat, but has to be done to earn the card. Actually, I have to go through the CPR training once a year and the first aid every three years. I get paid for the time......seven hours total, but it takes up two whole nights and the room is small and close and cold! Judy Pierson and I went on the same night, so that helped....and she gave me a hard time cuz I know someone everywhere we go....and I walked in and there was Sarah Follmer and Ryan Paitich! Oh well....it happens when we walk, too. I guess when you have been around for sixty years and, especially, when you sub all over, you make a lot of acquaintances.


My biggest compaint was how nervous I feel about knowing I am certified, but feeling like I'm not sure I could save a life. I guess I could do chest compressions and give rescue breaths......30/2 for as long as possible until help arrives. I found myself thinking-Don't doctors have to go to school for about 8 years? How can I learn everything in two nights?


What I mostly learned: Call 9-1-1-!!

2 comments:

  1. as dumb as it sounds, calling 9-1-1 is not always the first thing people think to do.
    Remember, if you see an adult that needs help, call 9-1-1 THEN help them, if it is a child, help first THEN call 9-1-1.

    ReplyDelete