Sunday, January 16, 2011

Familiar Words


These two gangly ugly looking plants are from my front steps. They sat there all summer and into early fall full of blossoms and looking beautiful. When it was time to bring them in, I put them in the back room by the big picture window, and I have tried to remember to open the drapes every morning so they will get some sun every day. I have to water them like crazy....one or two days without a drink and they turn all droopy. Little by little, they have lost their blooms and just have leaves.
Just the other day,l I was sighing as I was picking up MORE dried leaves from the floor, and I had the thought that maybe it is time.....let them give up the ghost and start fresh next year, but I didn't do it yet, cuz trash day is on Tuesday.
So....then, we go over for a visit to see Mom and Bob. There by her back door is a plant about twenty times weaker-looking than these two guys. It was the Mother's Day azalea I gave her and there are two teeny, tiny green leaves on it. Otherwise, I would venture to say, it is a dried up dirt ball with a dried up stem in the middle of it. Well, I didn't say anything, but as we were getting ready to go, she pointed it out, and said something to the effect that she hates to throw it out....after all, it is a living thing! Oh my gosh....those were the same exact words that I struggled with inside my brain when I was thinking of throwing my plants. It's a living thing! It is scairy how much we pick up from our Moms.......Girls, watch out, I think you are doomed.

4 comments: